Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cats: Semi-Feral Taming and Dirty Kitty Cleaner

This post was originally published on my website February 11, 2009.
I'm in the process of composing my second post about Remy. In the meantime, here are some links that I found in my research prior to and just after bringing Remy home. Much of the following information is very similar, but I found each article very helpful.

Helping Feral Cats, Part 1
Taming Feral Kittens and Cats, Sarah HartwellWikiHow: Taming a Feral Cat

BONUS!

For cats who don't know how to clean themselves or have dirty bums.
When I got Remy home his fur was very rough and dirty: full of protective oils (useful for life outside), dust and mattes. I trimmed the mattes off and then I did a little poking around on the internet. I found that many cat owners recommended using baby wipes; I don't like to use wasteful products so I did a search for "make your own natural baby wipes." The following is the recipe I created based on a number of the results.
Kitty Kat Kleaner
1 TBSP natural baby wash (I used Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap, Unscented Baby-Mild)
1 TBSP olive oil (I used extra virgin)
1 drops tea tree oil (optional)
1 Cup water
Shake everything together in a storage bottle, either a shampoo style bottle or a soap pump. You can either squirt it on a wash cloth when you need it, or store it in a container with a few wash cloths so it's ready to go at anytime.
I chose the wash cloth method and then gave Remy a good wipe down every couple of days for a week. Amazingly, he quickly picked up cleaning himself and is now quite fastidious about his looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment